Where's Second Star? Find us on 

Latest Plans

June 9, 2022, Bohemia River, MD: After leaving Norfolk we headed north stopping by Smith Island and visiting friends in Solomons and Annapolis. A weather window looks to be opening this weekend for travel to NYC, so we left Annapolis yesterday, will transit the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal this afternoon, and on Saturday go through nobody's favorite bay, Delaware Bay to Cape May. Weather permitting we'll leave Sunday for NYC and the Hudson River. At the moment we plan to sail from Cape May about 160 miles to Half Moon Bay on the Hudson. 

May 23, 2022, Norfolk, VA: We arrived in Norfolk yesterday, anchoring in Hospital Point at the beginning of the ICW. We have closed the loop having traveled 1250 miles to Key West and back with a slight diversion to the Abacos. The weather for the next few days will not be conducive for traveling north, so we'll stay in Norfolk for a few days. Our next stop? 

May 17, 2022, Oriental, NC: We continue our northward journey. After leaving Charleston on May 7, we moved up the coast moving almost daily. We'll stay in Oriental for a couple of days before resuming our travels. We expect to arrive in the Norfolk region around Memorial Day after an obligatory stop at Coinjock. Then some time the Chesapeake visiting with friends. Our goal is to be back on Lake Ontario around Independence Day.

May 6, 2022, Charleston, SC: We made the trip back, arriving on Wednesday May, 4 after a 54.5 hour 396 nm sail from the Abacos. Our last week in the Bahamas found us fairly isolated with poor to no internet connectivity, updates were not possible. It was a good crossing, I'm writing about it now. Weather permitting we leave tomorrow for Georgetown, SC about 60 miles away as we work further north to Lake Ontario. Short updates on our plans should become more regular as internet access improves.

April 26, 2022, Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas: The time has come to head north. Tomorrow (4/27) we begin to work our way west back through the Abacos. This time the wind, if there is any will be with us. A good weather window should open beginning Monday (5/2) that will allow us to make good progress and sail in comfortable conditions. Our destination is not yet determined, however it will likely be between St. Augustine, FL and Charlestown, SC. If we have internet access when we make the decision, we'll post our destination. 

April 17, 2022, Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas: Happy Easter! We arrived in Green Turtle Cay on April 11 and planned to stay just a couple of nights. One thing led to another and we're still here, but leaving tomorrow. In the mooring at high tide we'll head out to Great Guana Cay where we will spend about a week in a marina waiting out a spell of really nasty weather. From there we plan to head east to Hope Town to spend a few days before turning back to the west to begin our journey back to Lake Ontario.

April 9, 2022, Grand Cay, Abaco, Bahamas: We've been in the Bahamas for a week now. Grand Cay is in the NW corner of the Abacos. Tomorrow we'll be sailing south and east towards Marsh Harbor and then back to Grand Cay before we depart for home in early May. 

March 31, 2022, Marathon, Florida: Tomorrow. Tomorrow we leave for the Berry Islands in the Bahamas. From the Berrys we'll sail north up to the Abacos and spend about a month cruising there before heading home. We plan to leave around noon, arriving in the Berrys sometime late Saturday afternoon. It has been a long time coming.

March 23, 2022, Marathon, Florida: Returning to Key West didn't work out. The almost affordable marina was full. One issue with the dinghy was fixed, but was only of two? Waiting for a new motor. A weather window for the Bahamas may open early next week. We'll see.

March 14, 2022, Marathon, Florida: We have finally fixed the transmission (fingers crossed) only to have an issue with our dinghy motor. Without the motor, we can't reach shore when anchored out. On Wednesday, if we can reserve a dock, we'll head back to Key West for a few days while the motor is being repaired. Then we will head to the Bahamas. 

March 6, 2022, Key West, Florida: Our plans are starting to gel for the next week. We've been anchored out in Key West for almost a week. Later this week we'll head back to Marathon where we have reserved a slip and provision the boat and tend to a few (more) boat maintenance issues before we sail to the Bahamas around March 15. 

February 28, 2022, Marathon, Florida: Second Star is back in the water and we are back on her, finally. For the next few days we will be anchoring out here in Marathon putting things back in order. Boat repairs always create chaos on board as things are moved about to get access to the problem areas. Next up is a shake down sail to Key West for a few days. We are planning to head to the Bahamas around March 15 and plan to stay for 6 to 8 weeks before heading north.

February 18, 2022, Marathon, Florida: Last week we were towed 50 miles from Key Largo to Marathon. Second Star was hauled, parts found and installed and we were planning to launch today. Then another issue cropped up with the transmission. The transmission is now at a repair shop in Ft. Lauderdale and we await their diagnosis and repair estimate. Meanwhile, we are looking for ways to entertain ourselves in south Florida, the Keys are just too expensive this time of year. Sorry, forgot to activate the Spot Tracker on our trip from Key Largo to Marathon.

February 9, 2022, Key Largo, Florida: As it happened to Alexander, Second Star had a “Terrible, Horrible, Very Bad, No Good Day.” Our plans change again. After spending a pleasant evening in Key Largo with friends, we resumed our journey to Marathon. While anchoring, the transmission failed again, albeit, a different kind of failure from the last time it failed. Then, our DC electric system crashed, a switch failed and left us without electricity while anchored. We have jury rigged the system to have some power to charge devices and have lights, but not enough for refrigeration. Tomorrow we will be towed to Marathon, a 10-hour tow, where the boat will be hauled and repaired. Replacement parts have been ordered and we have lined up a mechanic to repair the transmission. We hope to be back sailing again in the middle of next week.

February 2, 2022, Lantana Florida: We left St Augustine and headed south on January 19 with no specific plans other than South and maybe the Keys if not the Bahamas. Our current Ground Hog Day plan is to head to Marathon Key where we will replace our wind sensors again. With the latest surge in Covid abating we are hopeful that our plans for the Bahamas will come to fruition. We'll see.

Comments powered by CComment